March 8, 2010

How to get more Twitter followers


Last lecture my teacher was talking about how to promote your blog. One of the things she said, was that we should make friends on Twitter. With my quite low number of 20 followers (not that I am not happy with you guys), maybe I should do so. But how? I mean you can’t buy friends on a market. How to get more Twitter followers? Here are the latest tips from the net.

Tip 1. This tip differs between the “experts”. Some say you should follow users who follow you back. According to this man (John Chow, who has more than 50.000 followers. You would say he would know something about this topic) you should have at least 100 followers; otherwise you will get negative social proof. People don’t want to follow people with little followers. Hmm, this is not good news for me. Others tip givers tell us that you will have to add people, but not blindly. You have to follow people so you want to make sure they’re interesting to you. I think I am going to stick with this last option.

Tip 2. Explain to your followers what retweeting is and encourage them to retweet your links. So here comes the explanation: at the end of each tweet you can click on the option ‘retweet’. I encourage you to retweet my blog links.

Tip 3. Tweet regularly. I have 35 tweets so far, so I am on my way. But hello, I also have a life to live.

Tip 4. Start a contest. @jasoncalacanis offered a free Mac Book Air if he would reach the #1 most followed spot. He never made it to that first spot, but he got thousands of followers this way. Okay, I am not that anxious to get more Twitter followers. Maybe you are. In that case, I like to win that Mac Book.

Tip 5. Be worth following. Be interesting (anyone knows how to measure your interestingness? Because, I don’t), be informative, be interactive, be promotional, be personal, be considerate and try to find a balance of all the characteristics just mentioned. Good luck with that!

Reading all these tips, makes getting more followers look like a contest. It kinda reminds me about primary school, when your classmate said that he had more Pokémon cards than you. Maybe, I am gonna do something with these tips, maybe I don’t. I will find my own way in the social media, with or without hundreds of followers.

4 comments:

  1. Just add a lot of people.. and they will follow you back (H) YAY.. now I'm stuck with A LOT of people I don't know.. ^^

    Ps.
    Read more about Twitter Hijack attacks on my blog;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha die Debby, die komt hier even volgens eigen tactiek reclame maken voor haar eigen blog :P

    Maar Desiree, zo is het maar net, jij vindt je eigen weg zoals alleen Desiree dat kan ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, lekker reclame op mijn blog aan het maken Debby. Ja, dat van mensen toevoegen die je niet kent is niet echt mijn ding. Alleen als ze iets met communicatie of marketing hebben te maken.

    Thanks Eva, mijn vaste commenter:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stiekem werkt het wel die 'PS' van Debby... heb toch even een kijkje genomen op der blog (A)

    ReplyDelete